What we need are programs to teach this way of thinking, working, and creating. Call it “view source-ism.” View source-ism is about learning by doing, remix, and recombination. It’s what happens when you Google for the answer for a solution problem and land on Stack Overflow or MDN. It’s forking millions of GitHub repos and using shared code like Lego bricks.
Spectrum - Zedd (Piano Cover)
Robin Thicke - Piano Cover
Catskills, NY 2013
Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe
Jamaican Rice and Peas is usually rice and red kidney beans or gungo peas (depending on your preference), and is served with every “Sunday dinner” in Jamaica. Cooking rice and peas is both science and art. Sidenote: There are some great free courses online discussing the physical science behind everyday cooking. Currently taking an online course put on by Harvard’s School of Engineering, titled Science and Cooking.
It’s taking me a few years to develop my rice and peas recipe, so checkout the blueprint. Hope you enjoy.
- 2 cups of white rice
- 2 1/4 cups of water
- 1 cup of coconut milk (recommend Goya coconut milk if you don’t have time to make it from scratch)
- 1 cup of cooked red kidney beans (recommend Goya beans if you don’t have time to cook the beans)
- 1.5 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 spring onion (scallion)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 of green pepper
- sprig of fresh thyme
- sprig of fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of grounded allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon of grounded black pepper
- (salt and pepper to taste)
- Bring water to a boil
- Prepare veggies and throw in a medium size bowl
- onion, spring onion and parsley - finely chop
- garlic - mince
- green pepper cut into large pieces (four chunks)
- drop in sprig of thyme (do not chop)
- Heat a medium size pot on a medium fire and pour in olive oil
- Sauté the bowl of veggies for about 3 minutes
- Add spices to the pot (black pepper, salt, and grounded allspice
- Saute for another minute
- Add coconut milk, water, and scotch bonnet pepper and bring to rapid boil over high heat (lid off) while stirring
- Add red kidney beans and white rice and bring to another boil (taste the water and add additional black pepper or salt to taste)
- Once you bring to a boil, give the rice another stir and turn down the fire to a low heat and cover
- Cook on a low fire for 25-30 minutes
Once done, remove pot to a cold burner and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then remove the lid (remove green peppers, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper) and fluff with a fork to serve immediately.
Cooking Tip: If desired, fry a few strips of bacon, cut into small pieces and add.
Hopefully your rice came out the way you wanted it. If so enjoy.
If not, don’t worry and just try again. Most of cooking is trial and error.